Matt is a proud personal injury lawyer and partner of Thomson Rogers. He loves helping people and doing so with kindness.
Before joining the firm in 2019, Matt was a partner of a well-respected insurance defence firm and he practiced exclusively in the area of insurance defence litigation for over a decade. He came to realize, however, that he was more interested in helping the people who suffered injuries and that he was working on the wrong side of the fence.
Matt changed his practice focus to use his legal skills where he could best help injured people receive the compensation they need to aid in their recovery. He hasn’t looked back.
If you are seriously hurt because someone was negligent, Matt would like to help you. His experience includes, but is not limited to, motor vehicle accidents, slip & falls, fire loss and injury, product liability, and commercial host and occupier’s liability claims. Matt mostly handles catastrophic injury claims. All initial consultations are free of charge.
The litigation process can be long, emotionally draining, and rife with difficulties. Matt strives to be a trusted advisor in difficult times.
Matt was called to the bar in 2007. He has experience in all facets of the litigation and statutory accident benefit claims process. He regularly appears before the Ontario Superior Court of Justice and the License Appeal Tribunal.
Matt continues to learn from and understand the effects of brain injury directly through his community involvement as President of the Board of the Brain Injury Association of Durham.
Matt’s experience working with injured clients gives him real gratitude for the important things in his life: reading a good book, watching a Star Wars movie for the umpteenth time, and going on day trips to a farm or the zoo (ice cream is a must!) with his wife and his three boys.
Year of Call
- Bachelor of Arts (Honours), Queen’s University (2003)
- Bachelor of Laws (LL.B.), University of Windsor (2006)
- Juris Doctorate (J.D.), University of Detroit Mercy (2006)
- Brain Injury Association of Durham
- The Advocates’ Society
- Ontario Bar Association/Canadian Bar Association
- Toronto Lawyer’s Association
- Past member of the Canadian Defence Lawyers
- Cynthia Russell v. Dumfries Mutual Insurance Company, 2023 ONLAT 20-004264/AABS
- Jeganathan Ratnam v. Primmum Insurance Company, 2021 ONLAT 19-006706/AABS