Managing hospital discharge barriers
Author(s): Leonard H. Kunka
May 28, 2013
A special panel discussion took place at the Back to School Conference. This discussion featured commentary from:
Martha Binstock, B.Sc.P.T., MCPA, CLCP
Maggie Didiano, BA (Hons.), Rehab Cert.
Heather Flett, BA, BSc., MSc
Helena Griner, Lyndhurst Centre Client
Leonard Kunka, Partner – Thomson Rogers
Blair Williams, Lyndhurst Centre Client
This discussion included commentary on the following points:
- When rehabilitation facility stays are too short. The client perspective.
- When clients are discharged too early, can a family cope?
- How can I extend my rehabilitation and avoid being discharged?
- How do my emotions affect the discharge process?
- How to work with a client who is not emotionally equipped to deal with rehab?
- What’s the best way to manage medical complications and family doctors?
- Programs outside of Ontario that spinal cord injury clients might have access to