Most Dangerous Intersections In The GTA
June 21, 2021
The GTA has the unfortunate distinction of having some of the most unsafe roads in Canada. According to one source, North York, Scarborough and Brampton have the highest collision claims frequency across the entire country.
And it’s not like the pandemic has made our roads any safer. Despite people making fewer trips and thousands not commuting for work at all, Peel Region witnessed record road fatalities in 2020. It saw 43 deaths due to car accidents, nearly double those recorded in 2019.
However, some roads are more dangerous than others. In this article we are looking at some of the most dangerous intersections in Toronto and the GTA that have become the scene of many a car accident.
Dangerous Intersections You Need To Be Careful Driving Through
These are some of the most dangerous intersections that regularly see car, motorcycle, cycling and pedestrian accidents. Most of the roads have had their speed limits reduced as part of Toronto’s Vision Zero program (in 2019), but clearly greater action is needed.
If you are driving or walking through any of these intersections, it’s best to be a little extra cautious.
- Ellesmere Road and Morningside Avenue
- Islington Avenue and Albion Road
- Sheppard Avenue at Morningside Avenue
- St. Clair Avenue and Old Weston Road
- Ellesmere Road and Bellamy Road
- Lake Shore Blvd. and Don Roadway
- Lawrence Avenue East and Midland Ave.
- Lakeshore Blvd. and Lower Jarvis Street
- Lake Shore Blvd. and Spadina Avenue
- Weston Road and Lawrence Avenue
Why Are Some Intersections So Dangerous?
There are many reasons why some intersections (and roads) are more prone to accidents. The most dangerous neighborhoods in Toronto and the GTA for driving through have many of these factors in common:
- Road rage
- Poor visibility
- Weather conditions
- Road hazards
What Will The Most Dangerous Intersections Be In The GTA In 2021?
With summer just around the corner, Toronto is about to restart its CafeTO program for 2021. That means parts of roads cordoned off for roadside patios. Add to that the seemingly unending road repair program, and motorists are going to be facing more hazards on the roads.
Here’s a list of intersections that you may want to avoid in 2021.
- Yonge Street and Dundas Street
- Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue East
- Finch Avenue West and Islington Avenue
- Yonge Street and Lakeshore Blvd. East
- Spadina Avenue and Lakeshore Blvd. West
- Warden Avenue and Ellesmere Road
- Jane Street and Finch Avenue West
- Spadina Avenue and Fort York Blvd.
- Bathurst Street and Eglinton Avenue West
Make Sure You Get The Compensation You Deserve…With the Help Of A Car Accident Lawyer
With over 85 years experience handling personal injury litigation, Thomson Rogers knows all about these dangerous intersections.
Our lawyers have helped drivers, cyclists and pedestrians with cases arising on these and other dangerous intersections. We’ll use our experience in winning these types of cases, and all the tools available to us, to make your claim stronger and maximize your compensation.
Talk to our experienced trauma lawyers in Toronto today.
For Thomson Rogers updates please subscribe to our email list here.