How to Select the Best Personal Injury Lawyer
July 27, 2022
When selecting the best personal injury lawyer for you or a family member, start by asking questions.
- Ask if the personal injury lawyer you are meeting with, or members of the firm, have been recognized by other lawyers as an expert in personal injury law and have been included in peer-reviewed organizations such as The Canadian Lexpert ® Directory, The Best Lawyers™ in Canada and Martindale-Hubbell;
- Ask if the lawyer is certified by the Law Society of Ontario as a Specialist in Civil Litigation?
- Ask if the lawyer works at a Top 10 Personal Injury Law Firm as recognized by Canadian Lawyer Magazine;
- Ask how long the firm has been carrying on this sort of work and what experience they have;
- Ask if the lawyer or his firm are members of the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association or the American College of Trial Lawyers;
- Does the lawyer take cases to trial if a fair resolution cannot be negotiated;
- Is the lawyer or other members of the firm a director or president of groups like the Advocates’ Society, the Ontario Trial Lawyers Association or other such groups;
- Ask about the lawyers and health care professions who will be assisting the injured person and their family; and,
- Ask about fees and disbursements and whether the firm has the resources to see your case through to the end.